Wednesday, September 24, 2008

proud mom

geez, i'm talkative today...but this is so post-worthy

yesterday afternoon when Z & I were driving home & he's telling me about his day & a few encounters with friends; then he's telling me something about Jayden & i ask "girl J or boy J?" (there's so many kids here with the same name, i'm pretty sure the local hospital has a list with like 50 names on it that you have to choose from after giving birth & deviations are NOT allowed, creativity is not permissible or encouraged.)

Z: no momma, both J's are boys, one is from kindergarten one is from 1st grade.
Me: oh, sorry, forgive me for getting confused with all the kids. alright, so was in kinder J or 1st J?
Z: 1st J who has the straight hair like mine, kinder J has the braids.

why does this make me proud? because kinder J "with the braids" is african american & i was curious as to how Z was going to differentiate between the 2 for me.
so although he learned "the middle finger" & about the word "sex" in kindergarten he hasn't learned any racial slurs yet - yeah!

2 comments:

  1. my grandma told me this story once. she said that she asked my aunt when she was six how many white kids were in her kindergarten class (she was going to school on an indian reservation). so when my aunt went to list all the white kids, the first person my aunt listed was native american. :-)
    another test of how innocent children are until they are messed up by all the adults around them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure it's just a matter of time before he learns about them, but he passed the test round.

    ReplyDelete

tell me your thoughts...