Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I want a cheer

Part of what's so difficult about living in nowheresville is the lack of variety in restaurants – & for someone like me, where food & eating is like an Olympic sport, it really SUCKS.

There are a few Thai/Asian type restaurants but they make really sorry attempts & are very watered-down Americanized excuses for true Thai or Asian food. To make up for this we've had to start cooking our own exotic dishes. I was fortunate enough to get a few authentic Thai recipes from dear little Molly, hand me downs from her grandma, so you know it's the real deal.

Last week we attempted to make red curry chicken. We bought 2 types of sauce (not realizing one had bamboo shoots & other things in there already, which is SO wrong), a few other ingredients & set out to make our dish. I put the sauce in the pan & found the vegetables already in there & immediately was unhappy. Then I also realized vegetables in the jar meant less sauce in the jar, so we had to combine both the sauces. It came out ok, but was more Indian curry than Thai curry, but we like both so no complaints.

Yesterday though I stopped by a different store & found a jar of "red curry paste" & that should really be what we needed. I was so excited about finding it & when I took it home I left it on the counter for B to see. So when he finally was able to escape the alternate universe (game world), I asked him if he saw what I found & he's all calm & bored "yeah, I saw it earlier" & I tell him "that's it? that's all I'm gonna get?" He asks what I expected so I tell him "I want a f-ing cheer!", so he did one; actually he did a few & they were quite cute.

So I've learned I have to ask for what I want…& I'll get it, but it's really difficult for me to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me your thoughts...