Sunday, October 7, 2007

holiday spirit

now that my mother is a grandmother, she has decided that holidays are really important & it is my responsibility as a parent to make sure my child is fully aware of them. in the middle of sept she called to find out what Z was going to be for Halloween. i thought i was on my toes because just asking him about what he wanted to be was in the back of my head - it was supposed to already have been decided! does she realize how quickly a 5 year old changes his mind? we could have 60 costumes by the end of October!

so Z & I go to walmart to pick up some more Halloween crap i mean decorations, & browse costumes. then i get the bright idea of making ghosts & buy some material for that. Z decided to pick up a Frankenstein mask. as of right now i think were sticking with that, but i have to make him some pants for the outfit.

on sunday evening i decide it's time to be creative & make our ghosts. so Z & i sit at the dining room table (where all craft projects take place & little eating happens), cut our material, then use shredded paper to form the head. i make sure Z is pleased with the head size before moving on while he cuts out eyes & a mouth from black construction paper. his mouth was about the size of my arm & he REFUSED to make it any smaller, absolutely positive it was the right size - no point in arguing that one.

so while he works on his ghost i decide to cut the skirt of mine to make it all whispy, then he decides he wants his the same yet won't do it himself. i try to explain that it's his ghost, that he can't mess it up, but he only makes a few cuts then asks me to finish the rest. i finish up my ghost, then his ghost & he comes by periodically to check on the status & he tells me "good job momma" & even gives me a thumbs up.

so i'm feeling particularily proud of myself (just for an ever so brief moment), yeah, i'm doing a good mommy thing, i'm kicking martha stewart's ass on the crafty thing, then he tells me "you didn't drop anything on the floor"

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me your thoughts...